Advisory Committee Enters Final Phase
On July 20 - 21, 2016, The Advisory Committee on Increasing Competitive Integrated Employment for Individuals with Disabilities (ACICIEID) will have its ninth meeting in Washington, D.C. The Committee is entering the final phase of its mandate to submit a Final Interim Report on September 15, 2016 to the Secretary of Labor and Congress. According to Section 609 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended by Section 461 of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) of 2014.
The Committee shall study, and prepare findings, conclusions, and recommendations on:
- Ways to increase the employment opportunities for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities or other individuals with significant disabilities in competitive integrated employment;
- The use of the certificate program carried out under Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C. 214(c)).
The Committee has made significant strides since its first meeting on January 22 - 23, 2015. A Draft Interim Report was submitted August 10, 2015 which included several recommendations on:
- Increasing opportunities for early work experiences for all youth with disabilities,
- Aligning across federal agencies the funding rules and payment methodologies to prioritize and incentivize CIE,
- Creating a sustainable culture of inclusion and diversity through business to business communications,
- Aligning and improving data systems on CIE outcomes.
The Draft Interim Report can be accessed here, or click here for more information on the Committee and its members.