The Instructional Designer/Trainer is responsible for designing and developing effective and engaging instructional materials and delivering training via in-person or virtual classrooms, self-directed, web-based, and/or blended learning platforms. The Instructional Designer/Trainer will be tasked with performing needs analysis, research, and curriculum design work consistent with sound instructional design principles with minimal supervision. The Instructional Designer/Trainer must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and meet aggressive deadlines and be located in the DC area.
In particular, the Instructional Designer/Trainer will be developing training to support the deployment of a Content Management System for a large Federal Agency. The training will be focused on aiding the Federal Agency in creating, populating and managing on-line learning communities that reach a national audience.
This position will be based in Washington D.C.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, or equivalent work experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5 years producing high quality instructional materials in deadline oriented environment.
- 2 to 3 years managing instructional projects.
- Work samples, as well as references from past employers, will be required.
- Instructional Design experience for developing visioning materials, best practice trainings for engaging online communities, web-based learning, and understanding content management systems.
- Strong virtual and in-person classroom facilitation, training and coaching skills.
- Utilize a broad range of interactive, creative and intuitive instructional methods, including but not limited to simulations, games, hands-on activities, interactive case studies, role-plays, and assessments.
- Design and develop learning materials—Facilitator Guides, Participant Guides, PowerPoint, Quick Reference Guides, Job Aids, Infographics, and Audio/Video scripts.
- Knowledge of instructional design methodologies, adult learning principles, human behavior and performance, methods for curriculum and training design, and the measurement of training effectiveness.
- Knowledge of common e-Learning development software—Adobe Connect, Storyline, Captivate, Presenter, HTML, Camtasia, Flash and other authoring tools, virtual classroom, and web conferencing software, etc.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) to support instructional design.
- Knowledge and practical application of Gagne’s Conditions of Learning/Nine Events of Instruction, Keller’s ARCS Model of Motivation, Kirkpatrick’s Levels of Evaluation, and Bloom’s Taxonomy.
- Experience analyzing source content, target audience demographics, job tasks, and learner environment to identify learning objectives and appropriate instructional strategies.
- Organize, perform, and oversee Quality Assurance of final materials to ensure concepts are properly developed by graphic designers and programmers.
- Explore and provide recommendations on how to best utilize latest e-Learning methodologies, technologies, and trends.
- Experience working with and training others on Content Management Systems (CMS) (Sitecore and/or SharePoint system experience a definite plus).
- Highly effective time and project management skills with the ability to organize, prioritize, coordinate, and implement multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Please complete this Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) Inventory Form, and attach it to your job application below.
Download KSA Form
Submit Your Application